You heard it right. Removing and unsubscribing workshop maps can give you HUGE CS:GO FPS boost and faster map loads! Especially if you are using a HDD drive.
Follow these simple steps:
- Unsubscribe unnecessary workshop maps. Remember to take note of all the maps that you would like to keep.
- What you do at first step is just visually removing the maps from your counter-strike, but the maps file are still located on you hard drive. You need to delete them as well. Find and delete workshop map files only or just delete everything in these folders:
- …\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\maps
- …\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive\csgo\maps\workshop
- Verify game cache to restore any files deleted by accident. Also if you delete everything at step 2 this is a must. You do this by open Steam library -> right click on CS:GO -> Properties -> Choose ‘Local files’ tab -> Click on ‘Verify integrity of game files’
- Re-subscribe all the maps that you take note at step 1.
- Get in game and enjoy a much higher, stable FPS!
Tip for NVIDIA user:
I just read a post on reddit and did the same things like the author, and it worked! You can follow the link and read the whole post, or simply open your Nvidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D settings -> Turn ‘Shader Cache’ off. Or turn it off in your custom settings for CS:GO only. Basically, this might make the game felt smoother. Test it yourself!